We’ve got a real all-rounder on the latest Arete podcast. Mark Edmonds is currently a business mentor with MRE Consulting and the part-owner of the Ocean Grove Chalet motel, with the most incredible range of senior-management experience outside of his current ventures.
He’s chaired numerous boards across different sectors, he’s worked as a national sales manager, and he even landed a senior-management job because a client was so impressed with what he recommended them as a consultant.
Mark keeps going back to the importance of listening. He has an interesting take on the difference between mentorship and coaching in business, and by the way, he also helped rewrite the Marine & Coastal Act for Victoria! See what we mean about him being an all-rounder? This guy is well worth listening to - you’re bound to learn something from Mark.
- The different definitions of “business coach”, “mentor” and “business consultant”
- Mark’s battle to uphold family values after a corporate takeover
- Management by “chaos theory”
- The difference between making big calls as a manager and making them as a consultant
- How Mark had an incredible senior management career but only ever applied for one job
- Mark’s take on not-for-profit governance
- The importance of networking
- How Mark fell into opening a motel
- Why it’s important to get to know your best customers