We’ve got a super-interesting story from our latest guest, Stijn Koppers. Stijn is the CEO of Banpu Energy Australia - a renewable energy resource and technology company with operations in 10 different countries around the world - but the way he got there is a story in itself.
As a high flyer in his native Holland, he landed his first major job with Shell, but initially refused their offer of a role in Holland because he wanted to broaden his horizons and work overseas. They gave in and sent him to the UK where, interestingly, he spent a couple of years on an oil platform gaining an understanding of the oil industry from top to bottom.
Just being a corporate suit was never the point for Stijn. He wanted to advance his executive career, but only in the energy sector because he was so passionate about the subject matter. Via McKinsey and other consulting roles, he ended up being hired to be CEO of Banpu Energy Australia with the dream brief of growing their operations in Australia in pretty much any way he sees fit. As well as his own journey, Stijn gave a very interesting take on the world’s energy usage and the potential for Australia to become a leader in renewables.
- The cutting edge of renewable energy
- How technology is empowering the renewable energy sector
- How to get your hands dirty on the ground but end up in a high-powered corporate role
- How Stijn left a global giant and found a more flexible employer
- What Stijn got from his MBA
- How Stijn oversaw incredible growth
- How Stijn became a CEO having originally been seen as a consultant
- How video conferencing has been a difficult second-best for Stijn’s interactions with Thai colleagues
- The great opportunity of Hydrogen