Adam Awty is a serious high flyer, presiding over nearly 100 staff and 19,000 members as CEO of the Law Institute of Victoria. The Law Institute provides training, policy advice, advocacy and access to justice for a range of people/organisations, as well as education and support for legal practitioners.
Adam manages a leadership team of eight and four additional departments, and by the sound of it, he’s doing bloody well! He tells us how he impressed as an interim CEO and managed to fight off stiff competition to land the permanent role. He also gives a great insight into how he’s handled previous senior management roles having been promoted from within. Just how does he command the respect of people twice his age who he previously knew as a subordinate?
Listen up for some great leadership insight from a man who gets results.
- How Adam stepped up from an interim role to become permanent CEO
- Why you should never discount the public sector as an option
- How to deal with senior stakeholders
- How Adam overcame imposter syndrome to lead a team
- How Adam guided his company through the new International Financial Reporting Standards
- How Adam managed the difficulty of managing people who were his friends
- How to find out your ‘why’
- The importance of good benchmarking
- How the Law Institute of Victoria coped during COVID
- How the Law Institute supports businesses of all sizes
- How legal education has moved to digital