We go really deep in this week’s Arete podcast. Our guest Simone Dowding was recently voted into Inside Magazine’s top 50 businesswomen, but it was much more interesting to talk to her about her life journey than simply go through her career. Would you believe, she actually lived with the Dalai Lama in the Himalayas!
Nowadays she is CEO of Storytowns: a podcasting business that showcases the stories of rural towns, but this is only the tip of the iceberg for someone who has worked with eight different startups and had her own multi-million dollar business.
Her journey started when she saw a video of a Tibetan monk burning himself alive in protest. Simone was inspired by how the monk seemed totally at peace with what he was doing, so she upped sticks and went in search of similar enlightenment. On her return to Australia she started an ethical coffee business with her husband which became hugely successful, but after 15 years she realised it was destroying her.
Most of our conversation centres around the perspectives she has learnt through failure and self reflection. What is particularly amazing about Simone is the fact that she has managed to combine high-powered management roles with shamanic practices and deeply spiritual journeys. Simone is a true one off. This is one not to be missed!
- How Simone realised the dream of an ideas-man entrepreneur
- How Simone succeeded as an accidental entrepreneur
- How Simone went to the brink and sold up
- The challenges of running a business with a romantic partner
- The importance of ‘being present’
- How Simone saved her life by going to the Amazon to see a Shaman
- How Simone combined Shamanic practice with senior management
- The importance of intention
- How to train yourself to not be afraid
- The difference between driven and being drawn
- How to find the balance between making money and doing good for others