We cover some heavy global matters on this week’s Arete podcast with Larry Quick: a man whose job it is to help companies understand how macro issues could affect their everyday business. The senior analyst and strategist (and acting MD) of Resilient Futures was incredibly insightful. He basically deconstructed the major systems of the world and explained why they are important to you, the business leader.
Larry is a very well travelled man in both a geographical and a career sense. Originally from Perth, he served time in the army and spent a decade in the UK working in the fashion industry, before returning to Australia. He then worked as a sales manager before eventually founding an internet business well ahead of the time most people even had the internet. Nowadays he specialises in conditions analysis.
Pre-COVID he was flying back and forth to the USA, presenting his ideas on macroeconomics, community economic development and how they fit into wider society. His methods were so effective that he managed to predict the GFC two years before it happened! There’s no doubt this man is worth listening to.
- Why it is important to understand global financial conditions
- What our economy is currently threatened by
- Digital saturation explained
- How not going to uni helped Larry
- How Larry battled leukemia and used it as a positive
- Why life is too short to work yourself into the ground trying to build a legacy
- The ‘value of work cycle’ explained
- How environmental and social systems are collapsing
- The dangers of the US printing more money than the entire GDP of Australia
- How working from home can bring more value to local communities
- How climate change is intertwined with the COVID economy
- Why past information doesn’t have the currency it had before